US President Donald Trump has pledged a “massive” increase in military spending, saying he will implement “the greatest military build-up in American history.”
In a wide-ranging speech on Friday at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) outside Washington, the controversial president vowed to keep his election promises to the American people, including securing the border and fighting terrorism, as well as rebuilding US industry and the country’s military.
Trump said the military buildup is necessary to fight against the Daesh (ISIL) terrorist group and because the US does not “win anymore” in wars.
“We don’t win anymore. When was the last time we won? Did we win a war? Did we win anything? Do we win anything?” Trump asked.
“We’re also put nothing a massive budget request for our beloved military. We will be substantially upgrading all of our military, all of our military, offensive, defensive, everything, bigger and better and stronger than ever before. And hopefully, we’ll never have to use it, but nobody’s gonna mess with us,” he added.
“It will be one of the greatest military build-ups in American history. No one will dare question as they have been because we’re very depleted, very, very depleted. Sequester. Sequester. Nobody will dare question our military might again. We believe in peace through strength and that’s what we will have,” Trump said.
The US president said Washington has “spent trillions of dollars overseas, while allowing our own infrastructure to fall into total disrepair and decay,” a stark contradiction of his previous remarks.
Trump lashed out at his predecessors for spending huge amounts of money on wars in the Middle East.
“If our presidents would have gone to the beach for 15 years the Middle East would have been in better shape”, he said.
Trump also repeated his election campaign call for building a wall on the US-Mexico border and renewed his harsh criticism of the media, describing the press as “fake news..”
“They (media) are the enemy of the people, because they have no sources. They just make ’em up when there are none,” he said..
“I am only against the fake news media or press – fake, fake. They have to leave that word. I’m against the people that make up stories and make up sources. They shouldn’t be allowed to use sources unless they use somebody’s name,” Trump said.
The US president is under fire by news outlets for his controversial policies, particularly his executive orders and his advisors’ alleged contacts with Russia.
Earlier on Friday, Trump criticized the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) for failing to stop leaks of national security information to the media and directed the agency to find those who pass on classified information.
“The FBI is totally unable to stop the national security ‘leakers’ that have permeated our government for a long time. They can’t even find the leakers within the FBI itself. Classified information is being given to media that could have a devastating effect on US FIND NOW,” Trump wrote on Twitter.
His remarks came amid media reports saying the FBI rejected a request by the White House to publicly dispute media reports that Trump’s campaign advisers kept regular contacts with Russian intelligence agents during the 2016 presidential election.
US soldiers shoot and kill 8-year-old girl in Yemen
January 30, 2017 at 10:35 am
While the media attention has been focused on the death of one US serviceman who was killed during a raid in Yemen, one of the most tragic casualties of the assault ordered by President Donald Trump was an eight-year-old girl.
The raid took place over the weekend, as US forces attempted a “site exploitation” attack that attempted to gather intelligence on Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), the extremist group behind several high-profile terror attacks, including the Charlie Hebdo attack in Paris in two years ago.
Though the United States hailed the operation as a success, reports from Yemen would seem to indicate that the price paid by Yemeni civilians and non-combatants was extraordinarily high.
‘Don’t cry mama, I’m fine’
According to medical sources on the ground cited by Reuters, 30 people were killed by US soldiers, at least ten of them women and children in what appeared to be a case of disproportionate force utilised by the American commando unit who were sent in to retrieve intelligence.
Amongst the casualties was eight-year-old Nawar Al-Awlaki. Nawar is the daughter of US-born preacher Anwar Al-Awlaki who was the first American citizen to be assassinated in a US drone strike in 2011, decried by civil rights groups as an extrajudicial execution that denied him his right to a fair trial.
Two weeks after Anwar’s assassination, his 16-year-old son Abdulrahman was killed in another US drone strike. Abdulrahman was a US citizen said to have been born in Denver, Colorado and was a child at the time he was killed on the authority of the Obama administration.
With Nawar’s murder, it appears that no relative of Anwar Al-Awlaki is safe, regardless of whether they are children or not, or even involved in terrorism or not.
In a Facebook post, Nawar’s uncle and former Yemeni Deputy Minister of the Environment and Water Resources, Ammar Al-Aulaqi said: “[Nawar] was shot several times, with one bullet piercing her neck. She was bleeding for two hours because it was not possible to get her medical attention.”
“As Nawar was always a personality and a mind far older than her years, she was reassuring her mother as she was bleeding out; ‘Don’t cry mama, I’m fine, I’m fine’,” Ammar’s emotional post continued.
“Then the call to the Dawn prayer came, and her soul departed from her tiny body.”
Trump’s fight against ‘Islamic terrorism’
Nawar’s violent death came as a result of the Trump administration’s fight against so-called “radical Islamic terrorism”. In his inaugural speech, Trump vowed to wipe it off the face of the Earth. Trump made no similar vow against other forms of terror, including state terrorism.
“She was hit with a bullet in her neck and suffered for two hours,” Nasser Al-Awlaki, Nawar’s grandfather, told Reuters.
“Why kill children? This is the new [US] administration – it’s very sad, a big crime.”
In a statement, the Pentagon did not refer to any civilian casualties, although a US military official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said they could not be ruled out. Instead, the US was preoccupied with the death of one US serviceman who was killed during the operation that ended up with Nawar and many other children dead.
Hailing the operation as a success, Trump said: “Americans are saddened this morning with news that a life of a heroic service member has been taken in our fight against the evil of radical Islamic terrorism.”
Two more US servicemen were injured when an American V-22 Osprey military aircraft was sent to evacuate another wounded commando, but came under fire and had to be “intentionally destroyed in place,” the Pentagon said.
Social media reacts
Social media was awash with anger at the death of Nawar, blaming the US for “assassinating children”.
— إفريقيا المسلمة (@Africa_Mu5lima) January 29, 2017
Mohammad Alrubaa, an Arab journalist and television show host, tweeted: “This is Nawar Al-Awlaki that the American marines came to Yemen to kill…#American_terrorism.”
Mousa Alomar, a Syrian journalist, tweeted “[US] marines killed Nawar Al-Awlaki and tens of women and children in Yemen. #US_terrorism_kills_Yemenis.”
Commenting on the fact that many civilian fatalities are justified as “collateral damage” by US military and political officials, Yemeni politician Ali Albukhaiti tweeted: “Nawar Al-Awlaki was not killed in an airstrike, but by a bullet fired by a marine and at close range. It is terrorism beyond terrorism, but it is defended and justified by a media that markets [such attacks].”
Though raids like this one in the rural Al-Bayda province in Yemen’s south are rare, the United States habitually utilises drone strikes to target individuals in what many deem to be extrajudicial killings, especially of its own citizens. Civilians are routinely killed in such drone strikes that are largely indiscriminate, but justified as a “legal act of war” by the US Justice Department.
F. William Engdahl, “Trump is a Project”
Join us as we discuss Trump and the latest happening geopolitically…
TradCatKnight Radio, F. William Engdahl “Trump is a Project”
Talk given 2-23-17 (aprx 40 mins)
Disclaimer: Not all the views of my guests represent the TradCatKnight/Catholic position.
Note: Audio quality is dependent upon skype connectivity which is typically not great. Maximize the volume on both your computer and the youtube video itself.
F. William Engdahl is strategic risk consultant and lecturer, he holds a degree in politics from Princeton University and is a best-selling author on oil and geopolitics, exclusively for the online magazine “New Eastern Outlook”
Join us as we discuss Trump and the latest happening geopolitically…
Donations: For those who have been with us a month or two please get in the fight with a financial contribution for this is an information war. Please click the paypal button and get behind TradCatKnight financially. As a reminder, these full-length shows come to you free of charge however we maintain and grow based upon your charity. I appreciate all your prayers and support! For CASH, CHECK or MONEY ORDER contributions please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for the mailing address.