’Let’s Stop Brussels’ – Orban’s govt asks Hungarians how to deal with EU policies

 ’Let’s Stop Brussels' – Orban’s govt asks Hungarians how to deal with EU policies
Hungary has launched a nationwide campaign asking people how to deal with EU policies which “pose a threat” to the country’s independence.

“Big decisions and struggles lie ahead of Hungary in the coming period, (Hungary) can only win those struggles if it feels the support of the country,” the country’s  senior government official, Bence Tuzson, told reporters in Budapest, officially launching the campaign on Saturday.

Within the framework of the campaign, every household in Hungary is to receive a questionnaire dubbed “Let’s stop Brussels!” which consists of 6 questions regarding national independence from the EU.

Citizens are asked “what Hungary should do” about this or that EU policy – such as immigration, intervening in the internal affairs by international nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), job creation support, energy prices and tax-raising powers.

For instance, according to AFP, one question asks “what Hungary should do” when “despite a series of recent terror attacks in Europe… Brussels wants to force Hungary to let in illegal immigrants.”

The questionnaire provides answer options: “Illegal immigrants should be kept under supervision until the authorities decide in their cases” or “We should allow illegal immigrants to move freely in Hungary”.

The first questionnaires have already been delivered at a number of Hungarian households, according to Tuzson.

Announcing the survey earlier this week, Csaba Domotor, parliamentary secretary in the Prime Minister’s Office, stated that “by participating in the [survey], [Hungarians] are protecting our national independence.”

“The government is asking for the assistance of the Hungarian people so that we will be able to defend our borders and avoid the compulsory settlement of foreigners,” he stressed.

In 2015, the Hungarian authorities headed by anti-EU Victor Orban already launched a similar campaign, “National Consultation,” which asked households about “immigration and terrorism.”

That 12-question survey asked whether Hungarians agreed that “the mismanagement of the immigration question by Brussels may have something to do with increased terrorism?” and whether “economic migrants jeopardize the jobs and livelihoods of Hungarians?”

The survey was accompanied by a letter signed by Orban in which he blamed the 2015 terror attacks in Paris on migration.

The survey was criticized at the time, especially by the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) which expressed “shock” at its questions, saying it could boost xenophobia in Hungary as it “vilified” and “wrongly blamed” refugees in general for threats to Hungary and Europe.

Hungarians now have until May 20 to submit their answers to the “Let’s stop Brussels!” survey, Hungarian media reports.

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Palestinian killed after stabbing three people in Jerusalem’s Old City – police

Palestinian killed after stabbing three people in Jerusalem’s Old City – police
Israeli police say security forces shot dead a Palestinian man who stabbed two Jewish young people and a police officer in East Jerusalem’s Old City.

Israeli police have neutralized a Palestinian teenager who stabbed two young Israelis in Jerusalem on Saturday, then fled the scene and stabbed a female border police guard who chased him, police spokeswoman Luba al-Samri said, according to AP.

Update to stabbing attack old city, Jerusalem. 3 people Injured lightly, taken to hospitals. Terrorist shot by police responding at scene.

The victims suffered light injuries, Police Foreign Press spokesman Mickey Rosenfeld confirmed on Twitter.

The Palestinian man has been identified as 17-year-old Ahmad Zahir Fathi Ghazal from the West Bank, the Palestinian Health Ministry reports.

Palestinian news agency Ma’an has posted a video allegedly showing the moments after the attack when police officers started their pursuit of the attacker.

This is the most recent incident in a wave of similar attacks. On Friday, Israeli police shot and killed a Palestinian woman after an alleged stabbing attack near Damascus Gate in Jerusalem’s Old City. There were no victims. The woman was identified as 49-year-old Siham Ratib Nimr from East Jerusalem by the Palestinian Health Ministry.

READ MORE: Mother of killed Palestinian shot dead during attempt to stab Israeli police officers

Nimr reportedly was the mother of a 27-year-old Palestinian man who was killed in September when his car came under fire.

Heightened security continues in&around the old city after attack at Damascus gate.No officers injured. Extra Police units mobilized in area

Over 160 Palestinians who carried out stabbing, shooting, or ramming attacks using vehicles targeting Israelis were killed by Israel’s security forces, Israeli officials say, according to Reuters.

READMORE: Israeli soldier sentenced to 18 months for fatally shooting wounded Palestinian attacker

Two Americans and 37 Israelis were also killed during the violence which erupted in 2015.

Israeli authorities lay the blame for inciting the violence on the Palestinian leadership. The Palestinian Authority in the West Bank, however, denies the accusations, pointing the finger at Israel and saying that government forces use excessive force when dealing with attackers armed with primitive weapons.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

‘Accidental’ explosion in Paris suburb injures around 20 people (PHOTOS, VIDEOS)

‘Accidental’ explosion in Paris suburb injures around 20 people (PHOTOS, VIDEOS)
At least 20 people have been injured in a powerful explosion at a carnival in the Paris suburb of Villepinte Saturday. Local authorities told the media that the blast was ‘accidental.’

“A man with a broken arm, a child with blood on his face” in the audience and “people [were] running around in all directions to find their children,” witnesses said, according to Le Parisien.

The explosion was described as “accidental” by Villepinte commune’s municipality and prefecture, the newspaper reported.

At least four people suffered serious injuries, according to local media.

Firefighters and paramedics were immediately dispatched to the scene.

Meanwhile, videos are emerging online purportedly showing the very moment of the blast when a carnival effigy made of straw and wood catches fire. Earlier police reports also indicated that this might be the cause of the blast, adding that an “accidental explosion of a Bengal fire” is probably to blame.

The incident occurred at around 5:30pm local time, a police source said.

⚡️ URGENT- 19 blessés, dont 4 graves, dans une explosion accidentelle à (nouveau bilan). L’explosion est due à un feu de Bengale

“Pieces of wood… have injured several people including the mayor, who was hit by a projectile in his leg,” the source said as cited by L’Express.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s