Argentine Grandmas Recover 122nd Stolen Child From Dirty War

  • Argentina’s Grandmothers of the Plaza of Mayo.

    Argentina’s Grandmothers of the Plaza of Mayo. | Photo: EFE

Published 22 April 2017 (2 hours 26 minutes ago)
The recovered grandson is a 42-year-old father of two who lives in the country’s interior region.

Argentina’s Grandmothers of the Plaza of Mayo, dedicated to searching for children kidnapped during the country’s last military dictatorship, announced on Saturday that they recovered grandson number 122.

RELATED:
Argentine Moms Protest Macri’s Police Militarization

The grandson, who has yet to be named, is the son of Enrique Bustamante and Iris Nelida Garcia, both of whom were critical of the Dirty War-era government.

The Dirty War, which took place during the 1970s and 80s, was Argentina’s offshoot of Operation Condor, a Cold War-era campaign of violence across Latin America.

Through the campaign, which resulted in tens of thousands of activist deaths, the U.S. teamed up with right-wing military dictatorships to extinguish leftist movements.

“I want to share this emotion and indescribable joy with everyone that I know,” Garcia’s sister said in a statement, Ambito reports.

According to the statement, the recovered grandson is a 42-year-old father of two who lives in the country’s interior region.

Further information about him will be announced next Monday.

Earlier this month, dozens of Argentine grandmothers protested Argentine President Mauricio Macri’s growing militarization of the police, which they claim resembles the police expansion under the country’s military dictatorship.

RELATED:
Former Argentine Army Chief Arrested On Dirty War Charges

The group also slammed Macri for wasting money on police militarization instead of boosting social programs for the country’s poor.

Hebe de Bonafini, the leader of the organization, called on grandmothers across the country to draw inspiration from former president Cristina Fernandez, a notorious critic of police militarization.

“There is nothing that can extinguish our fire of passion, the fire that Cristina gave us,” Bonafini said, Perfil reports.

“Things have gotten so bad that Macri even travels with snipers everywhere he goes.”

Ambito
—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

US Justice Department Threatens Sanctuary Cities with Deadline

  • Danielle Frank holds a sign as demonstrators gather at Washington Square Park to protest against U.S. President Donald Trump in New York, U.S., Jan. 25, 2017.

    Danielle Frank holds a sign as demonstrators gather at Washington Square Park to protest against U.S. President Donald Trump in New York, U.S., Jan. 25, 2017. | Photo: Reuters

Published 22 April 2017 (10 hours 11 minutes ago)
The Department of Justice has doubled down on its threat to cut federal funding to immigrant friendly areas.

The United States Department of Justice is working in tandem with the war Donald Trump’s administration is waging on immigration by threatening to cut federal funding to so-called Sanctuary Cities.

RELATED: 
US States Could Now Back Trump’s Muslim Ban

On Friday, the Department of Justice sent a letter to authorities in Chicago, New York, New Orleans, California, Philadelphia, Las Vegas, Milwaukee and Miami, saying they need to prove by the end of June that they are adhering to federal laws on immigration, or they face the risk of losing federal grants.

Under the Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant Program, sanctuary cities receive around US$29 million in funding that is distributed to local government to aid law enforcement, funding which the department is threatening to take away.

In a statement, the Department of Justice said that Chicago and New York were both “crumbling under the weight of illegal immigration and violent crime.”

The spokesperson for New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, however, noted that the city was experiencing record low crime rates. Representatives from California also criticized the statement.

“It has become abundantly clear that Attorney General Sessions and the Trump administration are basing their law enforcement policies on principles of white supremacy – not American values,” California Senator Kevin de León said in a statement on Friday.

In the face of funding cuts and a hostile immigration policy brought in by Donald Trump’s new administration, communities and leaders in Sanctuary cities have vowed to remain steadfast in their opposition to federal threats and continue to be accommodating to refugees.

RELATED: 
White House Hosts Hillbilly Hoedown as Kid Rock, Palin, Nugent Join Trump

Several sanctuary cities have adopted pro-migrant legislation and resolutions to calm widespread anxiety in immigrant communities amid increasing threats and deportations of immigrants. Many municipalities and law enforcement in sanctuary areas have also refused to help enforce immigration law and share information with federal authorities and Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE.

Earlier in the week, Attorney General Jeff Sessions said sanctuary cities are responsible for undermining efforts to fight violent gangs. In March, he vowed to “claw back” funding to the immigrant-friendly cities after Trump signed an executive order in January to strip federal funding from the so-called sanctuary cities.

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Chronicle of a Death Foretold: Venezuela Opposition Leader Suggests More Protest ‘Victims’ Imminent

  • Opposition leader Henrique Capriles (l) during an anti-government rally with Henry Ramos Allup, Sept. 26, 2016.

    Opposition leader Henrique Capriles (l) during an anti-government rally with Henry Ramos Allup, Sept. 26, 2016. | Photo: Reuters

Published 22 April 2017 (8 hours 58 minutes ago)
“This is a tribute of silence to the fallen … even the potential and eventual victims that will surely be in the next days,” said Henry Ramos Allup.

One of Venezuela’s top opposition leaders made an ominous statement Saturday, saying that more deaths would be likely in the coming days as right-wing protests continue.

RELATED: Venezuela: While Some Opposition Leaders Are Open to Talks, Others Want More Protests

“This is a tribute of silence to the fallen, the wounded, persecuted, the dead, the victims, even the potential and eventual victims that will surely be in the next days,” said Henry Ramos Allup, speaking to a media scrum as part of a ‘silent’ protest from opposition groups.

Ramos Allup, who was head of the opposition-controlled National Assembly until January, is also the leader of the one of the largest opposition parties, Democratic Action.

Both government and opposition supporters took to the streets in the tens of thousands on Wednesday, but peaceful marches broke out into skirmishes with police when some opposition protesters attempted to break police areas and head to areas of the city where pro-government demonstrators were gathered.

In the days since, there has been scattered violence throughout the country, with several dead including at least one police officer, along with dozens injured.

Since the beginning of April, turbulent opposition protests have claimed the lives of 22 people and led to considerable looting and vandalism of government buildings and local shops.

RELATED: Latin America’s Campesino Movement Denounces ‘International Conspiracy’ Against Venezuela

On Thursday night, the ‘Hugo Chavez’ children’s hospital was attacked by opposition protestors, prompting an evacuation of dozens of children and their mothers. In the El Valle area of Caracas, numerous roadblocks were set up by protesters and upwards of nine were electrocuted when they attempted to break into a bakery with an electrified gate.

While some say the looters are evidence of the country’s food crisis, workers from the community run CLAP food program that operated through the bakery said the victims of the attempted looting were called in by “criminal gangs.”

Despite calls for calm, some right-wing leaders have continued to call supporters to the streets to demand Maduro’s ouster, amid an ongoing political impasse between the opposition-controlled legislature and the Chavista Executive, as well as an economic crisis that began when the plummet in petroleum prices dramatically decreased government coffers in the oil-dependent nation.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s