‘Mastermind’ of Tehran terrorist attacks killed by Iranian security forces

‘Mastermind’ of Tehran terrorist attacks killed by Iranian security forces
Iran’s security forces have killed the alleged mastermind of Wednesday’s terrorist attacks. The twin assault claimed 17 lives when four armed assailants raided the country’s Parliament while a suicide bomber struck at the Imam Khomeini Mausoleum.

“The mastermind and main commander of terrorist attacks on the parliament and Mausoleum of Ayatollah Khomeini was killed today by the security forces,” intelligence minister Mahmoud Alavi was quoted as saying by the Tasnim news agency, Reuters reports.

The suspected orchestrator of the attack, who has not been named, was tracked down by Iranian intelligence after he had fled the country amid the ongoing crackdown by government forces.

Acting in cooperation with “friendly foreign intelligence services,” the Iranian team killed the suspect on Saturday, PressTV reported, citing the minister.

Two guards, ten government staffers and five civilians were killed in the Wednesday attacks which targeted the country’s parliament and shrine of the late founder of Iran, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini. Fifty-two others were injured in the attacks, according to the Interior Ministry.

Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) terrorist group claimed responsibility for the deadly operation and threatened more attacks against Iran’s Shiite majority, triggering a massive manhunt for IS followers by Tehran.

Authorities said Saturday that they identified and arrested an IS-affiliated cell of some 60 members in the suburb of Tehran, Iran’s IRNA news agency reported.

GRAPHIC: Footage has emerged of the recent attack on the Iranian parliamenthttps://on.rt.com/8dz9 

“The terrorists were affiliated to the Wahabi and Takfiri groups who joined the Daesh terrorist group overseas and were red handed in the crimes of the terrorist group in Mosul, Iraq and Raqqah in Syria,” Commander of the Law Enforcement Force Brigadier General Hossein Ashtari said.

Authorities also announced the detention of eight suspects in the Alborz province, north of Tehran.

A day earlier, the Intelligence Ministry said they detained 41 members of the “Wahhabi IS group,” in Tehran and the western Kurdish provinces.

attacks will ‘increase hatred’ for US, Saudi Arabia – Iran supreme leader https://on.rt.com/8e65 

Photo published for Tehran attacks will ‘increase hatred’ for US, Saudi Arabia – Iran supreme leader — RT News

Tehran attacks will ‘increase hatred’ for US, Saudi Arabia – Iran supreme leader — RT News

Iranian leaders have accused the US and Saudi Arabia of supporting twin attacks which killed 17 people in Tehran earlier this week, saying the attacks will further add to the country’s hate for the…

rt.com

Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, said on Friday that terrorist attacks would only increase Tehran’s hatred against the US and its “stooges” such as Saudi Arabia. The comments come just a day after Alavi said investigators were working to determine whether Riyadh had a hand in the attacks.


Gaddafi’s son released from prison, Libyan militia says

Gaddafi’s son released from prison, Libyan militia says
Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, son of former Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi has been released from prison, according to the militia that has held him for five years.

Gaddafi was reportedly freed by the Abu Bakr al-Siddiq Battalion militia, which controls the area of Zintan, southwest of the capital of Tripoli.

Gaddafi was captured in Zintan in November 2011, a month after his father was sodomized and killed by rebels.

Gaddafi’s son had been attempting to flee to Niger at the time of his capture. He was sentenced to death in 2015 during a mass trial of former Gaddafi officials in Tripoli.

The Abu Bakr al-Siddiq Battalion released a statement saying he was freed on Friday.

“The citizen Saif al-Islam Muammar al-Qadafi was released in accordance with the law of the General Afwa issued by parliament, the only legitimate authority in the country,” the statement reads.

The Libya Herald reports the release was in response to the Tobruk-based House of Representatives’ amnesty for political prisoners.

Saif al-Islam was the most prominent of Gaddafi’s eight children, al Jazeera reports. He studied at the London School of Economics. He is also wanted by the International Criminal Court for alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity.

His current location is unknown.

Manchester bomber radicalized in Britain, says Libyan counter-terrorism force. https://on.rt.com/8dz5 

Photo published for Manchester bomber radicalized in Britain, says Libyan counter-terrorism force — RT UK

Manchester bomber radicalized in Britain, says Libyan counter-terrorism force — RT UK

Manchester suicide bomber Salman Abedi was radicalized in 2015 while living in Britain, according to new information passed to Libyan counter-terrorism investigators by his brother Hashem.

rt.com

Since the 2011 NATO intervention in the Libyan conflict, the resulting power vacuum has seen the country descend into chaos with competing groups vying for control.

There are currently several centers of power in Libya, with the the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli and the one in Tobruk toward the east of the country, being the most prominent.

Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL), Al-Qaeda and other terrorist and jihadist groups have also gained traction in a fractured country plagued by violent clashes between the various competing factions.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s