Congo peacekeepers accused of sex abuse to leave CAR

About 600 Congolese soldiers to be pulled out of Central African Republic after allegations of sexual misconduct.

With sex abuse cases continuing to surface, UN chief Antonio Guterres has vowed to toughen the response [File: Melanie Gouby/AP]

About 600 troops from Congo Republic serving as UN peacekeepers in the Central African Republic will be returning home following allegations of sex abuse, the United Nations announced on Wednesday.

President Denis Sassou Nguesso‘s government “decided to withdraw” the troops deployed in the MINUSCA mission after the commander complained of misconduct, a UN statement said.

“The review of the deployment of uniformed military personnel from the Republic of Congo found that the nature and extent of existing allegations of sexual exploitation and abuse, in their totality, point to systemic problems in command and control,” it said.

“These problems have also been compounded by issues related to the preparedness, overall discipline, maintenance of contingent-owned equipment, and logistical capacity of these troops.”

READ MORE: UN – Dealing with rape in Central African Republic

The 12,000-strong MINUSCA force has been plagued by a wave of sexual abuse allegations since the mission to help restore stability to the country began in 2014.

Lieutenant-General Balla Keita of Senegal told UN headquarters in a leaked memo he had sent six letters of blame to the battalion commander already this year over alleged sexual abuse, fuel trafficking, and lack of discipline.

The 629 peacekeepers deployed in Berberati, the country’s third-largest city, are Brazzaville’s only contribution to UN peacekeeping.

Despite the departure of the troops, a smaller contingent of 140 police from Congo will remain in the mission in the Central African Republic, the UN said.

Last year, 120 troops from the same contingent were sent back following allegations of sexual abuse and exploitation involving at least seven victims, six of whom were children.

“The battalion is notorious for SEA [sexual exploitation and abuse] misconducts, fuel trafficking, and poor discipline,” Keita wrote in the memo sent last month.

“The situation has deteriorated to the point that the battalion is no longer trustable because of poor leadership, lack of discipline, and operational deficiencies,” he added.

Former UN chief Ban Ki-moon in 2015 took the rare step of firing the then-head of the peacekeeping force over his handling of dozens of misconduct cases, including the rape of minors.

With sex abuse cases continuing to surface, Ban’s successor Antonio Guterres has vowed to toughen the response to the damaging allegations as he faces pressure from the United States to cut funding for peacekeeping.

OPINION: UN Peacekeepers – Keeping the peace or preventing it?

UN critics in the US, many of whom are in the US Congress, point to the mounting cases of misconduct by UN peacekeepers to support their campaign to cut funding to UN missions.

The memo and UN assessment of the Congolese troops were released by the Code Blue Campaign of non-governmental organisations seeking to expose cases of sexual abuse and exploitation by UN peacekeepers.

Code Blue said in a statement it was relieved by the decision that “will ensure that vulnerable women and children in Berberati will be safe from further predation by that particular battalion”.

But the group asked why the UN waited until documents were leaked to take a decision and said the world body must now ensure that soldiers facing credible allegations are prosecuted by Brazzaville authorities.

Under UN rules, it is up to the country contributing troops to a peacekeeping mission to investigate and prosecute criminal cases.

Source: AFP news agency


News > Latin America

Special Prosecutor Investigates Mexican Govt Spying Allegations

  • An activist protests against the murder of journalists in Mexico, outside the building of Attention to Crimes against Freedom of Expression in Mexico City.

    An activist protests against the murder of journalists in Mexico, outside the building of Attention to Crimes against Freedom of Expression in Mexico City. | Photo: Reuters

Published 21 June 2017 (18 hours 37 minutes ago)
The investigation responds to a new report that alleged that critics of the Mexican government have been under state surveillance.

Mexico’s head of the Special Prosecutor’s Office for Crimes Against the Freedom of Expression, known as Feadle, Ricardo Sanchez Perez, has opened an investigation into the government’s alleged espionage activities targeting journalists and human rights activists.

RELATED:
Mexican Government Spied on Lawyers, Activists and Journalists

Sanchez Perez held talks with members of the media and the Chamber of Deputies on Wednesday.

He said a complaint has been filed and the appropriate steps will be taken.

The probe follows a report in the New York Times on Monday which alleged that critics of the Mexican government have been under surveillance by intelligence agencies using an Israeli spying system called Pegasus.

According to the report, the company that sold the software, NSO Group, says it sells it “exclusively to governments, with an explicit agreement that it be used only to battle terrorists or the drug cartels and criminal groups.”

Mexico’s Digital Rights Defense Network also said it had found evidence to back up the claims.

The organization’s researchers said they have discovered 88 cases of attempted espionage.

In each case, the targets received a text message on a smartphone that when clicked installed the spyware on the device.

RELATED:
Mexico: Journalists Protest, Demand Justice for Javier Valdez

The software gives the attacker access to all the phone’s files as well as the ability to control the camera and microphone.

Human rights groups, victims of crimes, reporters and lawyers are said to have been targeted.

Several representatives attended Wednesday’s meeting with the special prosecutor.

The Mexican government has strongly denied the allegations and the Minster of the Interior Osorio Chong said, “We reject any kind of espionage or investigation about journalists, human rights or NGO advocates.”

He also reiterated that the authorities refute claims that the intelligence agencies have been using “any instrument for monitoring or spying on any means of communication.”

The release of the report on alleged government spying came just days after the one month anniversary of the murder of renowned Mexican journalist Javier Valdez, sparking a fresh wave of protests demanding justice and protection for journalists.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: