‘For 68 years NATO failing to create peaceful world’

‘For 68 years NATO failing to create peaceful world’
It is unreasonable to ask taxpayers to pay billions more dollars for NATO’s budget because they get less and less peace, security and stability, says Jan Oberg, director of Transnational Foundation for Peace and Future Research.

NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said the bloc’s security spending would see its biggest increase since 2014, by 4.3 per cent in 2017. This is a response to US President Donald Trump’s criticism of NATO countries failing to increase military budgets.

Stoltenberg also said the alliance has combat-ready forces along Russia’s border.

“NATO’s four multinational battle groups in the Baltic countries and Poland are now fully operational, a clear demonstration that our alliance stands united in the face of any possible aggression,” Stoltenberg said during a news conference on Wednesday.

European  Allies & Canada spent almost $46 billion more on defence over the last 3 years. The trend is up. And we intend to keep it up.

RT: Why does NATO feel it necessary to increase its spending? Have new threats developed to the alliance in the last year?

Jan Oberg: There is absolutely no threat that would legitimate this type of increase. NATO with 29 countries are 12 times higher in terms of military spending than Russia which is the alleged main threat. And secondly, terrorism, which is a very legitimate threat to combat, has increased since 2001 80 times, meaning the war on terror is the most counterproductive war ever fought in human history. On Thursday, the defense ministers are meeting in Brussels. And one of the things they are going to discuss is how to combat ISIS in the Middle East. Everybody knows the US and its allies are supporting ISIS and other terrorists and are preventing the struggle of the Syrian government from combating this intrusion, these terrorists on its territory. Facts play no role anymore. It is perception management…Whenever we have a problem – and for 68 years we have failed to create a peaceful world – we need more money. The money Stoltenberg is talking about is citizens’, taxpayers’ money and my serious proposal would be: those who want war and have done such a bad job for 68 years and asking for even more money – they should go and do crowdfunding for their wars because it is unreasonable to ask taxpayers to pay billions of more dollars and getting less and less peace, security and stability.

‘NATO is the part of the US global empire’

NATO is ubiquitous and this has to do with the preservation of corporate interests, not saving or helping people, says Mike Raddie, co-Editor of BSNews.

RT: Why does NATO feel it necessary to increase its spending by such a large amount?

Mike Raddie: I think NATO is still trying to justify itself after 25 years of existence that shouldn’t have happened really – after the Cold War NATO should have been disbanded. It is still being used: it was used in Libya, it is used in Afghanistan, and it is used in Syria, still today. I think the build-up of troops on the Russian borders is extremely dangerous, really provocative. It is not just Russia. China is pretty much surrounded by US troops, US bases, and US aircraft carriers.

A couple of hundred years ago, if a government saw hostile troops on its border, it wouldn’t wait for a declaration of war, it would just see that as an imminent invasion and defend themselves. So, you can say that Russia and China have been amazingly restrained in their attitude to the West and NATO countries in particular. It is part of the US’ global empire. We can’t forget that they’re at least 800 US bases around the world. And the US Special Forces last year were deployed in 138countries. That is 70 percent of the country-states in the world. So, it is ubiquitous; it is everywhere. There are very few countries that don’t have a US presence in their land at the moment. Arguably some of these Special Forces are for training purposes. But they are only to train the local troops, and this is all to do with the preservation of corporate interests. They are not there to save people or help people. They are there to protect corporate interests wherever they may be.

The statements, views and opinions expressed in this column are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of RT.

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Ukraine faces fine over Eurovision delays, decision to bar Russian entrant

Ukraine faces fine over Eurovision delays, decision to bar Russian entrant
Ukraine is to pay a hefty fine because of severe delays in the organization of the Eurovision Song Contest, as well as Kiev’s decision to bar the Russian entrant from the competition.

The Ukrainian National Broadcasting Company has been notified of the fine, AFP reported, citing a representative of the EBU (European Broadcasting Union).

The Eurovision Song Contest in Kiev was marred by a row between Russia and Ukraine. Moscow boycotted the event after singer Yulia Samoylova, who was set to represent Russia, was denied entry due to a previous performance in Crimea. Russia’s Channel One refused to broadcast Eurovision.

“As a result of this, attention was drawn away from the competition and the brand reputation of the Eurovision Song Contest was endangered,” the EBU said in a statement, cited by Reuters.

The organization added that the contest’s steering committee “has recommended that UA:PBC [Ukraine’s state broadcaster] should receive a substantial fine, in line with the rules of the competition.”

The EBU did not specify the exact sum Kiev will be required to pay.

Ukrainian authorities have already declared they are going to appeal the EBU decision, with the fines for similar breaches reaching €200,000 (US$228,000), according to the chairman of the country’s National Public Broadcasting Company, Zurab Alasaniya.

“Formally, it wasn’t us who made the decision not to allow [the Russian singer], but I don’t think that the SBU [State Security Service] or the government will want to take part in this,” Alasaniya told Reuters.

According to Alasaniya, the EBU was considering was suspending Ukrainian participation in the Eurovision Song Contest, RIA Novosti reported.

At the same time, the organization will not sanction Russia’s Channel One over its refusal to broadcast the song contest. A warning will be issued, though, for the channel not visiting the mandatory meeting of delegation heads, the EBU told RIA Novosti

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s